CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Gone in a Flash!

As we look fondly upon our school days way back in yesteryear, this little man is taking his first step onto the long road of education that awaits him. A few nights before Kindergarten Ty was not so excited to go. He wanted to go back to preschool. I kept telling him that Kindergarten was way cooler then preschool, but he insisted that Kindergarten would be scary. After much proding I finally got to the root of his fear.... the PRINCIPAL!!!! He was deathly afraid that someone was going to lie to the teacher and say he did something that he did not do and he would be sent to the mean principal's office and the mean principal would call his parents and kick him out of school. The poor kid would go to bed shaking in his boots and even thew up a few times for unknown reasons. I was worried, very, very worried! I told him that I would take him to meet the principal and he would see what a nice man he was, but the thought of meeting the princial made him cry even harder. So when he went to Kindergarten Orientation I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. After assuring him that his teacher had never sent anyone to the principal, his worries melted away and it was smooth sailing after that.

He loved it! And what little boy wouldn't love painting with real worms! He couldn't wait to go back. He has the greatest teacher who is in our ward and all we have heard is rave reviews. His best friend Lauren and and many of his primary friends are in his class. When I told him that he could sit by his little crush on the bus, he said, "I already asked her and she said she doesn't want to marry me!" Heaven help me! I don't know if I can handle all of this already.


The day before Kindergarten the bishop told me that it's all over when they start school and he'll be gone in a flash.

So if your wondering why this photo is blurry it is because he was half way in motion he kept telling me he just wanted to go to class, but I made him pose for the picture anyway. And as soon as I took the picture and blinked, he was in his room and didn't even turn to say goodbye. My heart broke a little, my little boy didn't need me any more. I was secretly hoping the principal would be in there so that he would come running back into my arms. I peeked in to see him surrounded my his friends picking out a book to look at, and I walked away leaving the school with a tear in my eye, but knowing he was in good hands. The bishop was right he was gone in a flash!


So although it was a success and I should be happy that he didn't hang onto my leg crying, I am moarning the loss of my little boy. I'll keep hoping and praying that his heart doesn't get broken by his first crush, and praying that someone doesn't lie to the teacher and say he did something that he didn't and hope that he NEVER has to meet the principal. And I'll enjoy every moment of his educational journey, because as my bishop said and as my mom said to me the other day with tears in her eye as she looked at my brother behind the counter at his work and said "he was just in kindergarten yesterday and now he's a man, where did time go." Now I know, it's gone in a flash!!!

10 comments:

Emily M said...

That was such a tender post. Brooklyn's first day is tomorrow- I can't believe it. I can't believe that they are in Kindergartenl- I still remember every detail of when we had them.

Kristina said...

How darn cute! Our big day is tomorrow- I'm nervous!! I won't tell Austin that Lauren is in Ty's class- he'll be jealous! =) I'm glad he ended up being excited to go! He's so cute!

Melissa Hernandez said...

I'm playing cath up on your blog, I couldn't stop smiling at all the pict's from your 10 year reunion....man, we are getting old!!! How fun!!!! I love that you posted a dance picture of you 2 from back in the day;O) P.S. Love ur new family pictures, so cute!

Emilee said...

those are cute pics from the last 10 years...it was a fun reunion..not enough time to talk to everyone though...
dont you feel old that your oldest is in kindergarten! wow! although, i am waiting for the day my oldest gets to go...really, it will be nice!

Unknown said...

aww, that brings tears to my eyes b/c monday i'll be doing the same thing with Kaylee. He looks so old and ready to tackle the world. What a brave little boy you have;)

Emily said...

That makes me want to cry! How could he be old enough for Kindergarten! I am glad he enjoyed it!

Dave and Julie said...

Just tell him that the Principale is one of your friends dad. Mr. Mark Daines of Park elementry is my father. He will take care of him he is agreat dad and he will be a great friend to your son.

Dave and Julie said...

oh yea I told my dad about your son and he is going to make sure to meet him and make him feel like a best friend to him.

Shelly Traveller said...

Thanks Julie, just telling him that totally helped! I was wondering if you were related but I didn't realize it was your dad! He's great! Ty must have seen a show where someone got sent to the principal's office and he's been tramatized ever since and thinks all principal's are just scary.

Rachel said...

I was wondering what had happened to you and glad that you are back. Love the pics from the reunion. So FUN!
Glad you are surviving school :)