CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Amazing Japanese Adventure

Sorry this took so long. I had it all uploaded and Blogger would not post, there system was down so hours and hours of time was wasted, so I had to get up the motivation to do it all again and then it wouldn't post because some the code was messed up. I almost gave up, but the third time was a charm. So without further delay our amazing Japanese adventure.
p.s. sorry some of the pictures were sideways, I don't know how to fix it on here. But if you get a kinked neck from looking at them sideways, I know a great chiropractor!

We were so excited to go to Japan. Our flight flew out at 8:35 p.m. from SLC. We then had a two hour flight to L.A. where we had a three hour layover. We then boarded the 13 hour flight to Seoul Korea.



After 11 hours of travel we were starting to feel it, but were still in good spirits but really tired and ready to cut our legs off. We talked about how we would have jumped off the plane by now had we had our children on the plane (thank you, thank you, thank you Mama and Papa for watching them). It was hard enough trying to entertain ourselves let alone three monkeys.

When we landed in Korea we were so tired. We had a four hour layover in Korea. We were so happy to lay flat on a bench and sleep. Sleep had never felt so good. It was just to hard to sleep on the plane.

Then we were off again but this was a two hour flight to Japan so we were pretty excited to be on the final stretch. Don't let this smile fool you, I did not love the Korean tofu. I was starving and just really wanted was some good old mashed potatoes! I don't know how my brother survived two years on his mission on this stuff.

We finally made it and couldn't have been happier to see Bruce, Leanne and Chelsea.

Our first stop was the Inuyama castle.



The boys told us to get them a picture with a real Ninja. So this was our Ninaj.
















I love a squatter, I really think we should have them in America. Do you really sit on the toilet anyway? I know I don't..I'm a squatter!
I didn't love that they don't have paper towels in the bathrooms, you must bring your own and I really didn't love that there are no doors on the boys bathroom, that is strange people, just strange.

For lunch we went to Komari to a restaurant called YAKI NIKU. It was all you can eat and you cooked your own meat at your table it was really fun.



Justin was a little more adventurous then I and tried squid, octopus, eel and all sorts of strange things. I having a dislike for all things of the sea stuck to the salad, noodles and meat and it was delish.



Then we went to the BIG city of Nagoya

We went to the Sky Promenade with overlooks the city. It's on the 46th floor.


The views were breath-taking, with buildings as far as the eye could see from every side.


Although it made me sad to think that most of those millions of people that don't believe in God. They don't know what I know, that we have a Heavenly Father and a Savior that loves us and wants is to return and live with him a gain. Sad, so sad. What a great work missionary work is.

Then we headed over to the Nagoya station to catch a train back to the mission home. They were not afraid of losing me, I stood out like a sore thumb. I definately was the minority. There was no chance of trying to fit in. I was the only blonde I saw for the entire week. The Japanese were so gracious always telling me how beautiful I was, I thought to myself, "I could get used to this." Maybe I need to move to Japan.
The people pack onto those trains like sardines. I was literally touching the mans bum in front of me and could have easily pulled his wallet out and robbed him blind. Japan is a very trusting and safe place.

That night we went to Yo Don for these yummy noodles and onion rings. Thinking about it I am having a craving. I love me a Japanese noodle.





On Saturday we headed out to Takayama. On the road where there is construction they have little men on electronic boards waving flags, or a manican waving a flag. Very clever those Japanese. Who needs people when we have machines.

We went to this really neat old Hida village. It was so beautiful and peaceful.

Here we are with these Japanese good luck dolls. The different colors represent different things like wealth, love, ect.

Seriously this was one of the most beautiful and secluded places I've ever been. I just wanted to get my family and stay there forever, away from all the worries of the world.




This is one of the shrines, where they pray to their ancestors in their homes.



This was a self sustaining village where they build everything there and lived off the food they grew.

There were tons of carp to feed.

Then we picked up missionaries and had some noodles at this great little resturant where they feed missionaries for free. The owner is not a member but respects and loves the missionaries.  Justin was having a hard time sitting on floor with his legs crossed. He's not that flexible so his feet were touching the ground and that's a no no.

Then we went down some old streets with shops. The boys also requested we bring them home some of these drums so we were happy to find them. Their wish is our command.



Funny statues

Rubbing their bellies for good luck

I think Justin's looking up it skirt!

This guy was amazing. He played music on these glass cups on the street, but the best part was he was playing church hymns. And when people would ask him what he was playing he would invite them to church to hear more. He was their ward mission leader. Such a creative way to introduce people to the church.





These Tanuki statues were all over they have eight special traits that bring good fortune. The eight traits are (1) a bamboo hat that protects against trouble, (2) big eyes to perceive the environment and help make good decisions, (3) a sake bottle that represents virtue, (4) a big tail that provides steadiness and strength until success is achieved, (5) over-sized testicles that symbolize financial luck, (6) a promissory note that represents trust, (7) a big belly that symbolizes bold decisiveness, and (8) a friendly smile. (I guess we should have bought us one of these.

Yummy rice on a stick


I loved these blue flowers, so lovely!

A really cool Pagoda

Then we headed to the Matsumoto Castle

.
 had seen this in pictures they had sent us and really wanted to see it it person and it didn't dissapoint it was amazing! It is one of four original castle's in Japan.



Our gracious hosts!


On Sunday morning we got up early to go and speak at a little branch two hours away. It was a beautiful drive with all the rice and tea fields.


This is the little church building we spoke at. The member's were so amazing. In Relief Society there were five women and myself, it was all in Japanese. One sister sat by me who had served a mission in Provo so she knew some English and she helped me understand what was going on. The lesson was on the blessings of the temple. The sister's were planning their monthly trip to the temple which was three hours away. I was so thankful to have a temple so close to where I live, and I realized I take it for granted. In Sunday school we learned about the second coming. We sat in the back and Bruce translated for us. The sacrament meeting was amazing and unforgetabe. There were about thirty members in the congregation, half of which spoke Japanese and the other half spoke Portuguese of and don't forget I spoke English. So the missionaries sat on one side with the Portuguese and transelated the meeting from Japanese to Portuguese. The sacrament prayer was given in both languages. The sacrament hymn was, I know that my Redeemer Lives. I had a life changing and unforgettable moment  as I heard my little voice amongst all the Japanese and Portuguese voices. The tears flowed and the spirit was so incredibly strong. My testimony was strengthened leaps and bounds in that meeting. The church is constant and true no matter where you are in the world. The spirit can be felt in any language even if you can't understand the words you can understand the spirit. In that moment as I heard my little voice among the different languages I felt the love of our Heavenly Father and Savior and I knew that my Redeemer lives and loves EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US now matter where we lived in the world, or what language we spoke we are all equal.  After the sacrament I bore my testimony and Justin gave a talk. I was a blubbering mess and made it hard for Bruce to translate because I would go to long without stopping, but it didn't matter, the member although they didn't even know that I was saying were crying right along with me. The spirit was so strong. Justin spoke about being a missionarie in our everyday lives. After the meeting they gave us gifts and a bag of food for the long ride. Then they went outside and waved us off in the car, it was really neat. They made us feel like celebrities. Then we headed to a fireside we were going to put on that night.


On the way we stopped in Toyokawa to see a Buddhist temple.












The wood badge foxes with the foxes.  If you know what that is, good for you.  If you don't you'll have to ask one of them what it is, it's scouting lingo and it's complicated.

Love him!!!!



The Brazililians were a lot of fun instead of a lot of bowing there was alot of hugging and kissing. I little girl gave me a flower when we were in the parking lot, she was so sweet. Since Justin served his mission in Brazil and knows Portuguese they suggested that when we came we could put on a fireside. Leanne and Chelsea met us there and we all spoke. The spirit was equally as strong in this meeting. There were people there who were just glowing, and cried throughout the meeting. At the end of the meeting these people were called up to bare their testimonies of their baptisms that week and their conversion stories. I knew something was different about them they were just beaming with the light of Christ. After the meeting we all stayed for some yummy Brazilian food they made for us. Justin could have stayed all night, he loves having the opportunity to use his Portuguese.   Even after all the beautiful things we had seen in Japan we still talk about how Sunday was probably our favorite day of all. Valuable and unforgetable for sure!


I never go used to the steering wheel being on the wrong side. I always felt like I should be driving. Or if the person in the passenger seat would look back we would say, "look at the road." It was just hard to get used to.


These toll booths were all over the roads and it cost alot of money to pass through them. They were all electronic, we wouldn't even have to stop the van would just say something to the effect of "You were just charged $50," and then they just get a bill in the mail. Only the people who use the roads have to pay for them, everyone else doesn't get taxed for them. Clever those Japanese, clever.

Monday we headed to the Shizuoka. Our first stop was the Shiraito Falls


I loved this place! We felt like we were in Hawaii.





Then we sent to see Mt. Fuji. we didn't get a good view because it was cloudy. You can't tell from this picture but we did see the edge of it really high, so we got a good idea of how BIG it is.

This is what it really looks like so we closed our eyes and imagined it!


Then we got some yummy mango ice-cream. We also tried black sesame seed which was really good as well.

Who knew we would run into a Richmond Hotel in Japan, small world.

Would you like a snack? There were some pretty strange snacks at the gas stations. I mean who buys dried octopus anyway? I don't want to know. But the snacks that we did get like pea chips and spicy nuts, and their candy were all sooo good. I could have lived off them.

Then we hiked to the top of this hill to see the Kunzo-zan Toshogu shrine.

The coast

It's hard being a Princess!





Then we ate at a Sushi bar where the food came around on a conveyer belt past your table and you just grab what you want. It was $1. per plate and they just come and count all your plates when your done. Clever those japanese, very clever!

Justin trying things that still had their eyes. I filled up on shrimp with avacado.


Then we went back to the mission home and ate these yummy ice cream balls. I could live on these. They need to have these in America, I would totally buy stock.


On Tuesday we headed into the city to the Fish Market, which happens every morning.


Justin's expression says it all!

We treated it more like a zoo. We just walked around looking at a the creppy things slither around with no intention to buy.



"What would you like for dinner, octopus, stingray, eel?"

The thought of eating them makes me want to puke in my mouth.




.

Then we ran into the missionaries and headed back to the mission home
Two missionaries walking up the street.

This is the church building which is right next to the mission home on the left.

Then we went to Osu Kanon to do a little shopping at the down town shopping center. It was like an outdoor mall where everyone rode their bikes. It was the happening place of Nagoya.

Then we went to the Toyokawa Art Museum and Garden. It's a top private museum in Japan. This was the only picture I got before I saw the no picture sign, oops!


I really liked these spacious family stalls in bathrooms with options and a child seat to boot.

Then we ate at Yabaton or fat pig as they called it in the Nagoya station. The Nagoya station is full of name brand shops and resturants. It was really good. The missionaries always go there so they knew Leanne and thanked her for always coming.

Here we are in front of what we ordered.

Then we headed to the Nagoya castle

It was huge and had to be rebuilt from a WWII




This dolphin is like the mascot of Nagoya

There were displays showing how they built the castle. You had to see how much weight you could pull. Results, I'm weak.

He's strong.

We watched a 3-D video about the history and the rebuilding of the castle.


Then we went to the grocery store. This was the largest size cart. And all the food is mini size, forget about family size it doesn't exist. Everything is sold in single size portions. No wonder we didn't see one single overweight person in Japan. They are starving!

On Wednesday we went to Kanazawa which was about three hours away. We went to this amazing Kenrokuen Park like a Botanical garden style park.

Justin practicing to be the next Karate Kid






The workers keep the grounds immaculate, they sweep the dirt






Then we went to the Eiheiji Temple a training place for Buddhist priests.

It was pretty cool. A monk on one side would bang a drum and then another one would bang his on the other side of the building.



Then we went to the Tojimbo Cliffs




There were lots of little critters down in the rocks. Bruce caught this little crab.


They have a phone right by the cliffs. The sign translated from Japanese to English said, Saving Call. A lot people have gone here to commit suicide and jump off the cliffs, so they put a phone there for people to call someone before they jump.

I guess Justin's having second thoughts.
and I'm sure glad he did :)
The sun setting on the end of our Japanese vacation. Words can't properly describe what we saw, learned or felt on our amazing Japanese vacation. We felt our parents love both in Japan and at home. Thanks you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to give us  a taste of the beautiful country that you love so much.  And thank you to my parents for taking time out of your busy schedule to watch our kids  so that we could have this wonderful experience.  And thank you to Amber for offering to help my mom when she needed a much needed break. Wow, we have an amazing family and we love you!


Keep up the great work in Japan and remember...

8 comments:

Erin Davis said...

What a fun trip! I bet your kids missed you like crazy! TJ is leaving to get Derek, and he will be gone for 10 days! I'm so sad!

Sandy said...

Looks like you had an awesome trip.

Maegan said...

Wow Shelly! That looks so amazing!!! I loved all the pics and all the descriptions. Absolutely beautiful. I'll admit, I had to wipe a tear. :) How much longer do they have on their mission?

Charee B Mcclellan said...

oh my heck....what a wonderful time you must have had. it lools like such a blast! i wish i could go on a trip like that.....ohhh wishful thinking! hope you didnt miss your kids too much and was able to enjoy the trip to the fullest. you looked sooo cute in all of the pics. what a darling couple the two of you make!

Carley said...

What a FUN trip! I had the same exact experience when we went to Brazil....Grayson has the tendancy to sing the church hymns in Portuguese during church...he is the only one among everyone else's English....when we were at church in Brazil and I realized I was the only English singer among all Portuguese it made me realize exactly what you realized and the spirit was so strong I could barely sing at all....really, truly amazing when you can have that kind of testimony building experience.

Trisha said...

Wow! I loved seeing Justin's parents and all the cool places you went!

Haylee Munk Brown said...

I loved all of these pictures!! I would love to go back to Japan. It was by far my favorite place in Asia. And judging by your pictures I still have a lot to see!!!

Emily M said...

YAY!!! I am so glad to finally see pictures of you trip. i can't believe you had to do it 3 different times! Yikes! I think I would have given up too (I'm glad you didn't) What an amazing trip you two had! Japan looks breathtaking! Thank you for this post!